Re-Focusing

Once upon a time, I had this glorious dream of being a blogger mom. I could sit at home all day with my coffee and my Pinterest.  I could take pictures of my creations and read my books. Then reality smacked me in the face. In the real world, I'm not creative. I'm not artsy. Most importantly, while I think the projects I pin on Pinterest are cute, I have no idea what I would do with most of them once I completed them.

None of those things stopped me from attempting to live my dream. I started a blog any way. Occasionally I posted pictures of food. Mainly I made snarky comments. I have no idea if anyone read what I was writing. Did I feel better when I was done? Maybe. Sort of. No. I did feel pressure. "Well, you've started this blog thing. Now you should probably come up with something to post every day. It better be something good because nobody wants to read the sarcastic conversations you have with the other adult in your house." So I stopped writing. In addition to lacking the desire to continue, summer happened. In Minnesota, when summer happens, you take advantage of it. I decided I would rather spend my time out in the sun, catching fish, hiking, swimming, and all the other glorious things one does when summer comes. 

Now it is winter in Minnesota. In addition to being winter, I also decided I should go out and get one of those adult job things people have been telling me about. My four year olds started school full time in the fall. I tried convincing the other adult in my house that spending my days reading books and drinking wine after noon was an actual job. Until I can prove income from such a job, I don't get to have such a job. Fortunately for me, a job at my children's school opened up. This means I have weekends off. Summers off. Holidays off. And snow days off. After some consideration, I have decided to use this most recent snow day to take some time to refocus. When it comes down to it, I really do like writing. I might not be any good at it.* Honestly, it makes me feel a little better. Some how I think my babble looks better on paper or in the case, on a screen. 

There is also another reason for my re-focus effort. I read a lot of books. Goodreads was a fantastic outlet for me. I love the idea of being able to catalog my books and share my thoughts with other readers. The problem is Goodreads has gone through quite a few changes over the last year. It is no longer the social media site I use to know and love. When I realized Goodreads was never going to go back to the way things use to be, I started to migrate over to BookLikes. Shortly after joining BookLikes, I realize that site probably wasn't going to stick around. It certainly has it's issues. This brings me to my secondary reason for re-focusing on a blogging. I want another location to catalog and review my books. So, for now, in addition to the occasional food post or babbling story about something my kids did, I'm going to start publishing my book reviews. 

Did I really need an entire post to explain my re-focus efforts? Probably not. I only have one follower right now and I'm pretty sure it's my mom. Let's be honest, the only reason my mom would follow my blog is to make sure I'm representing her accurately. If you have taken the time to read this, thanks. I appreciate it. There are millions of other things in the world you could have read but you took the time to read this. You might not read anything I write ever again and that's fine. I'm just appreciative of the effort you put into this post. 

*I don't think I am really any good at writing. However, I have a cousin who is always telling me how much she enjoys my various Facebook posts. She thinks I'm hilarious. Why should her opinion matter? Well, maybe it shouldn't but she is a published author so it is possible she knows something about writing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purple Rain and Potato Soup

Vacation Days and Coffee Creamer

Free Time? What's That Again?