So that was fast.

I'm sitting here staring at my calendar. I have two and a half weeks left before I have to start back at work full-time. Where in the (insert four letter word of choice here) did my summer go? What happened to all the wonderfully witty blogs I was going to write? What happened to all of the cutesy projects I was going to do? What happened to all of the literature I was going to consume? Seriously, what happened? 

I could say children happened. It wouldn't be a lie. Between swimming lessons, theater classes, summer rec classes, and all of the refereeing I've been assisting them with, it wouldn't be far from the truth. Throw in the fact that at five, my twinkers have decided that while they could easily benefit from daily napping, they won't do it. They are horribly stubborn little people but that's not the point. The point is they are partially responsible for a decrease in time spent at home. There's another part. See the wonderful thing about my children finally being older and slightly self-sufficient is that I'm finally at the point as a mom where I feel comfortable leaving them with people who I am not related to. I live in a fantastic community where people genuinely believe in being good neighbors. The best part? They don't just believe it, they actually practice it. Suddenly, between co-workers and neighbors, I have an abundance of people who are willing to help watch my girls. If I want to do something crazy, like eat an uninterrupted meal with the other adult in my house, I CAN! 

And let's not forget that I'm a slight bit of a procrastinator. For example, I'm sitting here writing something that doesn't have to be written when I should be packing for the long weekend I'm taking. Away from my children. The in-laws spent two and a half weeks in Alaska. Apparently they suffered from granddaughter withdrawal so they requested a long weekend with my girls. Who would turn down an offer like that? Not me. So the girls are going to torment grandma and grandpa for four days while I'm going on a road trip. To Nebraska. Because I'm wild like that. 
 

The more I think about it, it wouldn't be fair to say my summer was a complete waste. For Mother's Day I got one of those Instant Pot people rave about. I'm pretty sure I joined some kind of cult when I bought one. I know that cults are suppose to be a bad thing but my food tastes amazing. I'm saving money by not ordering out at the local bar once (closer to twice) a week). Most importantly, my make up looks pretty freaking fantastic, if I do say so myself. My goal is to become good enough at using my Instant Pot to start creating and sharing some of my own recipes. However, my currently skill level requires I carefully follow tried and true dishes. I have recently mastered soy yogurt. That's huge considering Twinker A is on a restricted dairy diet. Prior to enforcing said diet, her two main food groups were pizza and yogurt. She still gets pizza. Soy yogurt? Do you have any idea how expensive that stuff is? Good grief. 

Have I procrastinated enough yet? It's hard to tell. Normally by this point in my day, at least one of my children has come to complain about the hunger pains gripping their body, threatening to over take them. Between their silence and my empty suitcase, I should probably get out of my chair. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honesty. It's Not For Everyone: Or “How I Use Mushrooms to Exact Revenge"

Vacation Days and Coffee Creamer

Tales From the Back of My Mini-Van